Things I Write

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Words that Hold Weight: Week One

As a newly hired Team Leader, everyone here in Vicksburg is getting quite the dose of training. While it is a struggle to sit through 8 hours of lessons, hypothetical scenarios, and lectures in the same building all day, all week, there are still things that stick—obviously. I have made it my responsibility to write down all the lines I find inspirational, encouraging, or impactful as they are spoken during training. I know that if these words are encouraging now…they will only hold more weight once I’m in a situation of hopelessness. Hopefully some of these lines can apply to your current situation, whether in school, work, love, or life.

“Don’t take things personally” 
“Frustration is a function of expectation” 
“Faced with apathy, I will take action. Faced with conflict, I will seek common ground. Faced with adversity, I will persevere.” –excerpt of The AmeriCorps Pledge 
“Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.” –Dr. Spock 
“You are the difference between people getting help or not getting help.” 
“I found my comfort zone, but I stayed out of it” –Barbara Allen Raney 
“You need to be afraid to fail in order to succeed.” –Travis, fellow Team Leader 
“Increase your threshold of tolerance for failure.” 
“Say what you have to say…and then stop talking." 
“It’s not your job to keep it from happening; it’s your job to navigate.” 
“Treat others the way they need to be treated.” –modified Golden Rule for Supervisory Roles


Right now, I find myself in a local coffee shop in Vicksburg with nine of my teammates. I look at each and every one of them and I feel home. It’s like everything I have done in my life has led me to here to love these people, to encourage and support them, to accept their help, and to grow. I am so at peace with life right now. I hope days like these come around more often than the struggles, but even if they don’t…I know I can approach any one of these selfless individuals for help—how fortunate am I? I am certain that I am meant to be here. I am home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment