Things I Write

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad.

Wedding Day: August 23, 1985.
Yesterday was my parents’ 28th Wedding Anniversary. And that’s only their Wedding Anniversary. My parents have been together for over 31 years. Every year on their Anniversary, I always think how incredible it is that they are still together when half of marriages fail…and my friends are shocked when my response to “Are your parents still in love?” is YES, without hesitation. Of course they’re still in love.

I’ve never really sat down and thought about why I’m so impressed by my parents though…until yesterday. As a twenty-two year old young adult, nearly everything I indulge in has an expiration date: High school, college, Barista positions, and my job with AmeriCorps— everything has a completion date (ironically always around June). My parents were married by the time they were twenty-two. They committed the rest of their lives to being in love by the time they were my age…and so far, they are doing a great job of keeping that promise.

I know my life (and love life) is drastically different than theirs…but their commitment to each other and to the beautiful family they raised is my inspiration to find what I love, no matter what it is. So I want to say thank you, Mom and Dad, for showing me that taking huge leaps of faith can result in a lifetime of happiness. I can’t wait to find something I love as much as I love the both of you.

Congratulations again on 28 years of marriage…Here is to many more years to come! J

No comments:

Post a Comment