Things I Write

Saturday, November 2, 2013

My Accidental Happiness Project

After reading Gretchen Rubin’s “The Happiness Project”, I came to an interesting realization: I have been in the midst of an accidental “Happiness Project” for the past seven months. Looking on my first post back in May…I said this:

“I, much like you, have good days and bad days. I created this blog to remind myself every day that my life and everything in it is wonderful, even when it doesn't always feel like it. As of April 9, 2013, I began a daily “Highlights Journal”, inspired by my world traveling friend, David.

I started journaling because after my adventure with David in Europe, my collegiate life in San Luis Obispo started to feel deceivingly bland. I needed an activity that would help remind me how lucky I truly am for the life I am so privileged to have.”

-Shannon Conmy, May 26, 2013

I just finished the book this morning…and honestly, until I got to the end, I didn’t really appreciate it. The advice seemed obvious and redundant…but I realize now that perhaps it’s because I’ve already implemented so many of the little things into my life without even knowing it. Since April, I’ve been keeping a daily “Highlights Journal” (I’m almost through my entire first notebook!), I have chosen to embark in a year of selfless service with AmeriCorps, I have given up drinking alcohol, I try super extra hard to maintain a positive outlook on every situation for myself, my family and friends, and especially my team, I get to bed earlier, I read books on topics I’ve always been  interested in, and I do better to keep in touch with old friends, among many, many other things.

While some of the advice was not particularly fresh to me…there were a few things that stuck out as exciting new ideas and opportunities. I have them listed below J
  •          Write a novel
  •          Publish…something
  •          Ride a hot air balloon
  •          Laugh more!

There are definitely more tidbits of advice that stuck out…but I’ll have to go back and read my chicken scratch to tell you what they are. Mostly, I just want to encourage everyone to do what makes them happy. So far, I gotta tell you, it’s working for me.


Here's a picture that I hope makes you smile. Halloween was fun in the office: 
Have a wonderful day J

No comments:

Post a Comment