Things I Write

Monday, November 11, 2013

I Wasn't Prepared for This...

When I indulged in Team Leader Training and Corps Training Institute just a few months ago, they prepared me for a LOT of circumstances: Interpersonal conflicts, backlash from the team, handling the team when there isn’t much work to do, etc. I felt prepared and aware of just about every conflict that could possibly come up. Every conflict except these:
  • How do I stay positive for my team…when other team members are quitting?
  • How do I support my Corps Members moving on without accidentally encouraging the ones left that it’s okay for them to leave too?
  • How do I maintain an “I care about your happiness” and “It’s unacceptable to bail on a commitment that you made” attitude simultaneously?
This past week has been challenging…to say the very least. I wish staying positive and encouraging for the remaining team members was as easy said as done. This challenge is brand new to me and everyone on my team. I know what I want the end goal to be. I want my team and me to be at peace with those who have chosen to pursue other endeavors, to keep the lines of communication open to how we are feeling about…everything, and create a mutual team effort of love, support, and encouragement. I learned very quickly last night that I cannot do this alone…but also that I do not have to. What an unbelievable relief.

I know that getting through these moments of fogginess, overcoming these fears, and truly stepping into my leadership role and encouraging others to step into theirs will make me the person I’ve always known I am capable of being. I’m terrified, truly, but I know I can do this. It may take a few days or it may take a few weeks…but my entire team will come out of this stronger. I know we will because I know everyone will step up…and not because I’m asking but because they are capable. Every last one of my team members is capable of greatness. Losing a few members may break our hearts…but this is our moment for growth as individuals, as leaders, and as a team.


I love my team—the ones who are staying and the ones that are moving on. I care so much about these young adults…more than I may ever care to admit. They break my heart, they challenge me, and they make me outstandingly proud. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment