Things I Write

Monday, November 3, 2014

August Accomplishments

July was all about getting settled and making sure I had some sort of income so I wasn’t blowing through all my savings. August was about finding more permanent and more meaningful work. Luckily, I found both. Check it out.

The Colorado State Capitol Building. 

Juggling Three Jobs

As I mentioned in my July post, I got a job as a barista in the middle of July. Awesome. I still work there…but unfortunately the whole marketing thing hasn’t quite taken off yet. I’m not actually too upset about it…because listen to this. I have 3 jobs. Yes, three. I moved here with absolutely no work, hardly any network, and no place to live yet, here I am succeeding. I definitely won.

Well now I must tell you about my new jobs. On August 3rd, I had a Skype interview with a company called University of Rock as an independent contractor vocal coach. I felt super awkward during the interview and didn’t invest too much hope in it ending with a job. But lo and behold, I was given a chance. I was tentatively “hired” and given the address of my first two students. My fate with University of Rock would be decided from how these first two lessons went. And guess what? They went great. I signed on as an official teacher with University of Rock.

Remember that “Video of Recommendation” I kept emailing some of you about and posting about on Facebook? Uhm, yeah, that worked. The first (and only) non-profit I used the video of recommendation for resulted in an interview. One thing led to another and now I am the Afterschool Program Facilitator with Mi Casa Resource Center at North High School this school year. Wow, that was a mouthful.

You’re probably wondering how I can juggle three jobs. But check out how cool this is…here is my daily schedule, basically. I'm working my tail off...but the scheduling can't get much better than that. 

                7:00am – 12:00pm         Downpours Coffee
                1:30pm – 5:30pm           Mi Casa Neighborhood Center
                6:00pm – 8:00pm           University of Rock

The Reality of Working in a School

On day two of training with Mi Casa, there was a full blown lockdown at Lake Middle School (where we were training that day). I’m not even going to pretend that it didn’t scare the poop outta me. With all the shootings and especially school shootings lately, my heart nearly stopped beating. I may have come home from training that day and cried…but you know what? It’s a reality I must and do accept with this position. I’m now grateful that scare occurred so early in the school year.

Denver Scavenger Dash

After all our job searching ending in both failures and successes, Doug and I decided to get out and do something FUN. It had been a good long time since we actually did that…so why not. I signed us up for this annual Scavenger Dash (apparently they do them all over the US in big cities). I made us shirts, took a bunch of pictures (it was mandatory for the event), and figured out how far we walked. 

Our legend...wait for it...dary tshirts.


Do yoga poses in front of a yoga studio: check.

We ended up walking approximately 9 miles by the end of the dash!!

The Simple Serendipities


My Best Friend’s Wedding. My Week of Welcome “Co”, the beatboxer for my college a cappella group, my best friend – whatever you want to call him – got married the beginning of the month. He and his bride looked stunning and happy and I am so thrilled for them both. This occasion also served as a beautiful reunion for me, Julie, and Joe…our ever so famous and reckless college trio. I really can’t handle my alcohol like I used to…

Party Table.
Because nothing has changed. 

How I Met Your Mother. This isn’t actually a positive topic. If you’ve watched all 9 seasons of How I Met Your Mother like I have…you’ll understand why the end of Season 9 really bugged. I cried so much I was so sad how things turned out. If you’ve seen this, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

The Most Badass Man I’ve Ever Met. Doug and I got a mad craving for ice cream when we were right next to a Walmart. Normally I try to run as fast as I can in the other direction of Walmarts…but I’m glad we didn’t this time. We met the most incredible, lively, grateful, and inspiring 90-year-old man in the checkout. He saw our ice cream and immediately struck up a conversation about his sweet tooth. Eventually he ended up telling us about his two life philosophies. They are as follows:
  1. Have the most fun you absolutely can but never at the cost of someone else's.
  2. Help others; Help them be happy and you will find that it will directly contribute to your number one. 

Of course I cried as we walked out of Walmart. It was the most honest and joyful I have ever seen someone in my entire life. His attitude is all he really has...but it cloaks him in a happiness that so many never feel. His gratefulness was positively infectious. I think we could all take a lesson from him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment