Things I Write

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mid-November Alterations

Last week at this time, I was naively sitting in a coffee shop, not knowing what the rest of the weekend would bring. Not 48 hours later was I preparing to send two of my Corps Members home. I panicked, of course, worried that this mass exodus would turn even more massive.

It has now been 4 days since I sent my team members home…and so far…things are running smoothly. In fact, I may even say that things are going well. The same day we saw our teammates off, we were given the last portion of our assignment at our location in Urbandale, Iowa. We have been (or at least I have been) too busy to even think about being sad about the absent members of our team. Did you notice I said “last portion” about our assignment? Well, I did…and guess what that means? A) We completed our assignment in Urbandale...and B) We have another new assignment J

Bayou 6 will be working in Jefferson City, Missouri for the second half of this deployment This change of scenery, change of work, and change of atmosphere will be helpful to those team members who are truly broken from our team’s mini disintegration. I know that I am personally grateful (and unbelievably excited) because I get to work alongside some members of Team Green again. In fact, that’s all I can really think about right now.


Despite my giddiness…I am a bit concerned as well. Bayou 6 has been deployed alone for a month…and that was amazing for all of us. It turned teammates into friends and it allowed my Corps Members to see me as a normal human young adult…not just a rule enforcer, haha. We spent time together for the first time since our union…even if it was out of social necessity. But what will happen once we have two other teams to distract us? Will it bring us closer? Or will Bayou 6 time start to feel like an obligation with so many other social options around? And there’s the question of motivation—will my team still be able to uphold an air of enthusiasm with other teams who have been doing the same job for over a month around? Will I still be able to maintain my enthusiasm? I don’t think that anything about my leadership style will change…but this is really the first time I’ve wanted to spend time with my team…and other people. The balance will bring about a whole new challenge. One, I suppose, I am excited to embark on.

I’m about to have a social life…remind me what that is again? Team Green became the biggest group of best friends I’ve ever had in just shy of three months…and I’m about to have a taste of that back. I will be living in the same hotel and working at the same office as two of my favorite Team Leaders. I have been texting both of them non-stop this week ever since I heard the Jefferson City rumor. And now it’s no longer a rumor—it’s my reality.

My team leaves for Jefferson City Monday morning…we go straight to the office to get in-processed…and then the day will be over and I will get to embrace some of my favorite Team Leaders (and we will need to check into the hotel..)! I keep having this little daydream where I walk into the office and bolt across the room to give my friends the biggest hugs…but I know I can’t do that. It’s going to be challenging to maintain a professional attitude and express my joy upon our reunion. But that is a challenge for me to deal with on Monday. In the meantime…my team and I will be packing up our lives in Urbandale to prepare for our new adventure in Jefferson City.

Until next time…



Ps. I just realized something really cool…I will have lived in 5 different places in 4 different states in 6 months.
  •          San Luis Obispo, CA
  •          Lake Forest, CA
  •          Vicksburg, MS
  •          Urbandale, IA
  •          Jefferson City, MO
I can’t wait to learn of all the places I will be living in the NEXT 6 months. I hope you all share my same excitement J

No comments:

Post a Comment